Key English Documents
At Lake View we use the documents below to structure our English curriculum.
Here at Lake View we place huge emphasis on reading and writing. Literacy skills are not only taught in isolation but are embedded throughout the curriculum as we adopt a 'theme' approach to our learning. Theme topics are used as a stimulus for creating our own pieces of writing. At Lake View we believe that reading is both a vital skill and an important source of knowledge and pleasure that can last a lifetime and that writing enables children to communicate, ignite imagination, practise new vocabulary and entertain!
It is our aim that throughout their time at Lake View, children will:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding
- have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- develop their vocabulary and be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- understand a range of genres and be able to write in the style of fiction and non-fiction
- develop the powers of imagination and inventiveness
- have opportunities to apply their literacy skills to other areas of the curriculum
At Lake View Primary School we use the Read Write Inc programme to further develop the children's reading and writing skills. This includes:
- Read Write Inc. Phonics from the end of F1 to Year 2 (and will be used as children move through school when reading and writing is an area of difficulty for them)
- Speed Sounds- programme teaching synthetic phonics to Years F1 to Year 2.
- RWI Spelling from Year 2 to Year 6
This year, we are placing an emphasis on improving children's vocabulary. Predominately, we do this through our new approach of Reciprocal Reading within our Guided Reading sessions. We also ensure that we teach vocabulary and grammar skills discretely within our 'Theme' sessions.
Here at Lake View we also use a 'Cold' to 'Gold' approach within our extended writing sessions, which the children love to use to see their writing improvements!
For further information about this subject, such as for example the policy, please contact the school office.